Follow the guide below to ensure that you complete all that is necessary for taking courses in the Broadcast and Operational Meteorology Program (BOMP) at Mississippi State University.
- Fill out the online Application for Admission, and pay an application fee online or by mail.**Please choose Distance Education as your campus and Geoscience/Broadcast & Operational Met (BS) as your choice of major.
- Request official transcripts from EVERY university or school you have previously attended. Your application will not be considered until ALL transcripts are received. Transcripts can be mailed to the Office of Admissions and Scholarships, P O Box 6334, Mississippi State, MS 39762 or electronically submitted (eScripted) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have attended college; please submit the following:
- Official transcripts from each school attended.
- ACT or SAT scores may possibly be required; NOT required if you have already earned a bachelor’s degree.
- High school transcript; may possibly be required.
- If you have never attended college; please submit the following:
- High school transcript showing graduation date.
- ACT or SAT scores.
- You will receive an email of acceptance when you are officially admitted to Mississippi State University.
- Every new student must register for Distance@State Orientation. Students must complete orientation to obtain a release to register from your advisor which will allow you to register for classes.
- Textbooks are available 2 to 3 weeks prior to the start of classes, and can be ordered through Barnes & Noble At MSU.
- You will be able to access Canvas on the first day of the semester. To access your courses, enter your NetID and NetPassword and click the classroom tab.
NOTE: If you have never attended college, you must apply as a freshman. If you have attended any other college, you must apply as a transfer student.
To be accepted into the freshman class at MSU, students must satisfactorily complete the course requirements as outlined by the Office of Admissions and Scholarships as stated below:
To be accepted into the freshmen class at Mississippi State University, students must satisfactorily complete the following College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with an appropriate core grade-point average:
- English -- 4 units, all requiring substantial communication skills components.
- Mathematics -- 3 units: Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry. (Algebra I taken in the 8th grade will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.)
- Natural Science -- 3 units chosen from Biology, Advanced Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry, Physical Science, Physics, Advanced Physics, or another science course of comparable rigor. (Two science units must be laboratory-based.)
- Social Studies -- 3 units, including U.S. History, World History (substantial Geography component), Government (1/2 unit), and Economics (1/2 unit) or Geography (1/2 unit).
- Advanced Electives -- 2 units chosen from Foreign Language, World Geography, 4th-year laboratory-based Science, and 4th-year Mathematics. One of the units must be Foreign Language or World Geography. (Foreign Language taken in the 8th grade will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.)
- Computer -- 1/2 unit: computer as a productivity tool, not as a keyboarding device.
- Pre-High School Units - Algebra I, or first year Foreign Language, or Mississippi Studies taken prior to high school will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.
To be accepted, transfer students must meet the following transfer admissions requirements:
Students may transfer to Mississippi State University from regionally accredited community, junior, or senior colleges for any period of enrollment, provided they have earned a 2.0 GPA (as computed by Mississippi State University) on all college courses attempted as well as earned a 2.0 GPA on the 30-hours of core courses. Applicants must list all colleges attended on the application for admission, must be in good standing with the last college or university attended, and must meet one of the following:
- Complete the 30-hours of core courses listed below with a 2.0 GPA on those courses and earn an overall 2.0 GPA (as computed by Mississippi State University) on all hours attempted.
- English Composition – 6 semester hours
- College Algebra, Quantitative Reasoning, or a higher level math – 3 semester hours
- Natural Science – 6 semester hours
- Humanities and Fine Arts – 9 semester hours
- Social or Behavioral Sciences – 6 semester hours
- Earn an A.A. degree (associate in art) or a higher degree from a regionally accredited community, junior, or senior college with a 2.0 GPA (as computed by Mississippi State University).
- Meet the requirements for entering freshmen and earn an overall 2.0 GPA (as computed by Mississippi State University) on all hours attempted.