The 17 course, 53 credit hour program leads to a Certificate in Broadcast and Operational Meteorology.
- Provides the education needed for the NWA Seal of Approval.
- Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in each course.
- New students must begin the program in the fall semester.
- All courses are offered on the semester system.
- Instructors have advanced degrees and are recognized experts and real-life practitioners in their field.
- Course materials such as exercises, assignments, study guides, exams, and lectures will be delivered via the Internet using Canvas. Canvas is a software program designed specifically for online learning.
Listed below is the course schedule for the BMP/OMP Certificate Program. The courses are offered only during the semester under which they are listed.
BMP/OMP FIRST YEAR
|GR 1123- Intro World Geography||GR 1604- Weather and Climate||GR 4643- Physical Climatology|
|GR 1114- Physical Geography||GR 4813- Natural Hazards|
BMP/OMP SECOND YEAR
|GR 4633- Statistical Climatology||GG 3613- Water Resources||GR 4613- Applied Climatology|
|GR 4713- Synoptic Meteorology I*||GR 4753/6753- Satellite & Radar
|GR 4473- Numerical Weather
BMP/OMP THIRD YEAR
|GR 4623- Physical Meteorology||GR 4443- Weather Prediction I||GR 4453- Weather Prediction II|
|GR 4913- Thermodynamic
|GR 4923- Severe Weather*||GG 3603- Intro to Oceanography|
*Students seeking AMS, NWS, and/or WMO requirements should make the following adjustments to their program of study to include calculus-based courses:
- Take GR 4733 Synoptic Meteorology instead of GR 4713 Synoptic Meteorology I
- Take GR 4823 Dynamic Meteorology instead of GR 4913 Thermodynamic Meteorology
- Take GR 4963 Mesoscale Meteorology instead of GR 4923 Severe Weather
Additional courses are required to meet AMS, NWS, and/or WMO requirements: Dynamic Meteorology II, Calculus I-III, Differential Equations, 2-Calculus based Physics w/labs, and a Chemistry appropriate for science majors. Of these additional courses, MSU only offers Dynamics II online. Contact the advisor with any questions you may have.
ANY SEMESTER/ANY YEAR
GR 4640-Meteorological Internship is not required for the degree or certificate. For more information read Internship Guidelines.