An applicant for admission to the MS-ENGS program must hold a bachelor’s degree from a fully recognized four-year educational institution that has unconditional accreditation with appropriate regional accrediting agencies.Regular admission to graduate study in the Master of Geosciences program requires a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. A student admitted to the Environmental Geosciences Concentration must also have completed GG 1113 and GR 1604 or their equivalents (a Physical Geology/Survey of Earth Science course and a Weather and Climate course). Specific classes may require further prerequisites, but all prerequisite courses may be taken through distance education. The GRE is not required for admission into this program.
We will consider applications for the MS-ENGS at any time. However, it is preferred for students to begin the program in the fall semester so that students can complete the summer capstone course in the final semester.
Follow the guide below to ensure that you complete all that is necessary for taking courses in the Environmental Geosciences (MS-ENGS) program at Mississippi State University.
- Fill out the online Application for Admission. The application requires a Statement of Purpose and the names and email addresses of 3 individuals submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf. A form will be provided to your recommenders for completion.
- Submit a $60.00 or $80.00 international (non-refundable) application fee, payable online or to MSU Office of the Graduate School, P. O. Box G, Mississippi State, MS 39762-5507.
- Submit one official transcript from the awarding institution of your undergraduate degree either electronically to email@example.com or by mail to:
- You will receive an email of acceptance when you are officially admitted to MSU.
- Register for the Distance@State Orientation course which will prepare you for online learning at MSU.
- Textbooks are available 2 to 3 weeks prior to classes beginning and can be ordered through Barnes & Noble at MSU.
- You will be able to access Canvas on the first day of the semester. To access your courses, enter your NetID and NetPassword and click the Classroom tab.
Mississippi State University
Office of the Graduate School
P.O. Box G
Mississippi State, MS 39762-5507