Ready to Graduate?
We urge all students enrolled in the Teachers in Geosciences (TIG) to familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures of Graduate Studies at MSU in the Graduate Bulletin.
As a graduate student in the Department of Geosciences, you should be aware of the following:
- Students must complete all 36 hours in the Teachers in Geosciences (TIG) from MSU.
- The Department of Geosciences allows graduate students to earn only two grades of "C" in the program. Any additional grade below a "B" will result in dismissal from the program and MSU.
- The time limit on credits earned that can be accepted toward fulfilling degree requirements is 8 years.
- A student may repeat only one course per degree. Both grades earned for that course will appear on your MSU transcript and will be calculated in to your cumulative GPA.
- To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a GPA of 3.0. Students must complete all program requirements taken at MSU with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to be eligible for graduation.
- Transfer Credit
- The Department of Geosciences does not accept prior credit for any of the Teacher in Geosciences Program (TIG) courses. Due to the nature of this program (science content PLUS educational applications), course work taken from other schools will not be accepted in lieu of any of the courses offered in this program. However, course substitution is allowed when an individual is already proficient in a specific geoscience discipline.
There are some important deadlines to remember during your final two semesters:
- All students must submit a Pre-Audit Form to the Department of Geosciences' advisor, Yasma Jacobs, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the end of the semester before they plan to graduate (Spring for most students).
- Students should also submit the application for degree according to university deadlines. To access this application, log into the myState portal, choose the Banner tab, look for the Academic Records menu and choose "Apply For A Degree". For summer graduation, this application deadline is in early June.
Apply for a Degree
Prior to graduating from the Teachers in Geosciences Program (TIG) all students must apply for a degree. The application can be found online in the myState portal. Log in and choose the Banner tab. Apply for A Degree is listed under the Academic Records menu.
*** Comprehensive examinations must have been successfully completed, all transfer credit accepted, transcripts received, and all fees paid in order to be eligible to graduate.
Please consult the Academic Calendar for important deadlines regarding applying for a degree.
Contact the Academic Advisor, Yasma Jacobs, at email@example.com or 662.325.3476 with questions about your degree.