For full admission to the MBA program in the Mississippi State University, College of Business, students must complete the process for classified admission. The College of Business does not permit any unclassified (non-degree) graduate students to register in MBA classes.
Admission to the MBA program will require the following:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A competitive GPA
- A competitive GMAT or GRE score administered within the last 5 years
- For international applicants, a TOEFL or IELTS score administered in the last 2 years
Admission to the MBA program is competitive. Students who do not have undergraduate degrees in Business Administration will be required to complete some basic foundation or prerequisite courses after admission. You must earn a grade of "B" or higher in all of the prerequisites in order to take the subsequent graduate level courses.
Students who have attended MSU but were not enrolled during the last three (3) semesters, will need to complete a Graduate Readmission Application.
Mississippi State University has an application deadline that allows students maximum flexibility in their decision to return to school. Students should note, however, that certain processes do require information to be submitted within a reasonable amount of time. The earlier you apply, the better your selection of courses.
Deadline for Fall Semester: August 1
Deadline for Spring Semester: December 1
Deadline for Summer Semester: May 15
Please submit your application by the posted application deadline even if you have not received an official score on the GMAT or GRE, or if you lack other application materials. The Office of Graduate Admissions will not accept classified (degree-seeking) applications submitted after the deadline. You will be allowed to submit test scores and other documents after the deadline in order to complete your application. Please contact Cindy Smith about other options if you miss the classified (degree-seeking) deadline.
The following is a checklist designed to ensure that you complete all paperwork necessary for taking courses in the MBA program at Mississippi State University as a classified student. Please note specific instructions for International Students in item 5. Detailed instructions regarding the statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and payment of the application fee are found within the online application. Questions regarding your application can be addressed to the Office of Graduate Admissions email@example.com or 662.325.7400.
- Application - Complete the online Application for Admission which includes:
Statement of Purpose - Provide two to three paragraphs on who you are, why you want an MBA, and why you selected Mississippi State University’s Distance MBA program. You may even discuss your past academic performance, and what that says about your ability to succeed in a graduate level program.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation - When completing your online application you will be asked for three names and the email addresses of individuals you are using as references. Once you hit "submit" on the application and pay your application fee, your references will receive an email from MSU which will provide a link to an online form for completing their recommendations.
Application fee $60 or $80 for international applications - If you did not submit your $60 payment online during the application process please contact the Office of the Graduate School at 662.325.7400 to make your payment.
- GMAT or GRE - Take the GMAT or GRE and request that your score is sent to MSU.
- Resume - Please send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcript - Request one official transcript from EVERY university or school you have previously attended. Your university should send them directly to MSU, not to you.
The Office of the Graduate School
P.O. Box G
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Physical Street Address: (DHL, Fed Ex, UPS, DHS)
Mississippi State University
Office of the Graduate School
175 Presidents Circle
617 Allen Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
- International Students - The College of Business requires a minimum TOEFL score of 84 iBT (internet based), or 84 on the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test, or 575 PBT (unavailable after July 2017) or an IELTS score of 7.0. Detailed information regarding international applications can be found in the Graduate Catalog
- Technology - For successful completion of the MSU Distance Education MBA program please follow the instructions on our Technology page for recommended technology.
- Orientation - After you are admitted, please sign up for the Online Orientation.