Skip to main content

Graduate Advising FAQ

How do I get admitted to the Master of Science degree program?

More information on being admitted is provided at the Office of the Graduate School. Choose Apply Online Now to complete the application. Once you are admitted, register to attend an Orientation to Online Learning class.

What financial aid opportunities are available to support enrollment in the program?

To learn about financial aid opportunities, including scholarships and assistantships at MSU, visit the following sites:

To learn about education-specific financial aid opportunities, visit the following sites:

  • MSU College of Education: provides information about college-specific scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students.
  • Mississippi Department of Education Teacher Center: provides detailed information on resources provided by the State of Mississippi and Federal Loan Programs.
  • GTS Scholarship: Pays up to $125 per credit hour for full time teachers earning the first Master’s degree and AA license. Must apply by March 31 and be admitted to a degree program. Funds are first come/first served.
  • Mississippi Teacher Fellowship Program: Can provide support for graduate study for teachers in geographic critical shortage areas (e.g., Noxubee and Kemper County, among others).

Who is my academic advisor?

Once you have declared your major and a concentration area and/or minor, a CISE faculty advisor is assigned to you. You will receive a letter of notification to let you know who your advisor is.

In addition to MSU’s academic policies, are there any College of Education polices I should be aware of?

Yes, there are additional university and CISE policies that apply to graduate students. Applicable College of Education policies are found in the Graduate Catalog and Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education (CISE) Grad Student Handbook.

How do I register for classes?

Your advisor will guide you on which courses to take.

Before contacting your advisor, you should carefully review each of the following:

  • The Program of Study for your major located on the CISE Graduate Teacher Education page.
  • Current class offerings in the Master Class Schedule under the Registration Tab in Banner.

After reviewing the items listed above, contact your advisor.

Prior to registration, please communicate with your advisor for advice on scheduling courses. Your advisor will release you to register. You must enroll in classes using the MSU Banner system. (You will not be allowed to register until your appointed time. However, you may register at any time after that point.)

What are comprehensive exams and when can I take them?

The Master’s Written Comprehensive Examination is a graduation requirement and is taken during the last semester of enrollment in the degree program. The Comprehensive Exam requires you to synthesize and apply your learning from courses in the program of study. In general, you should use the readings and professional resources from your courses to prepare for the exam as well as to respond to exam prompts. You are not expected to do extensive outside research and reading to prepare for the exam; however, you may want to engage in additional reading/research if there are areas on the study guide with which you are unfamiliar. The exam consists of four areas, administered in two sessions of equal time. Each four-hour session includes two prompts, which should be answered using an extended essay format. The exam is offered once each semester. The CISE Graduate Handbook gives specific information about dates to register for and take the exam.