Admission into the Elementary Education Online Program will be based upon successful completion of all Mississippi State University admission requirements.
- Are you ready to be an online learner? Take the SmarterMeasureAssessment.
- Send a copy of your unofficial transcript to email@example.com so it can be evaluated to see if you are ready to start the Elementary Education online program.
- Complete an online application for admission to Mississippi State University.
- For Enrollment site, please choose "Distance Education"
- For College, please choose "College of Education"
- Select either early childhood concentration (preK-3rd or PreK-6th) or a middle school concentration (K-6th).
- Submit the $40.00 application fee.
You will receive an email from Mississippi State University with your admission decision. This email will also be copied to your advisor, Susan Steward .
All teacher candidates must apply and be admitted to Mississippi State University. Once admitted to Mississippi State University, candidates may complete general education coursework in preparation for admission into Teacher Education. The Elementary Education Online Program teacher candidates must meet the requirements for admissions into Teacher Education before beginning the last four semesters of the coursework and field experiences.
- Have minimum 2.50 overall GPA
- Have minimum GPA of 2.75 for 44 hours of core curriculum coursework, including the 36-hour general education curriculum that is required for all majors.
- Submit two recommendation forms from educators.
- Verify 40 hours of work experience with children.
- Submit test scores: ACT composite score of 21 or higher with no sub-scores lower than 18 OR Praxis Core scores of at least 156 for reading, 162 for writing, and 150 for mathematics. Visit www.ets.org to learn more about Praxis Core, test dates and sites, and practice materials.
- Obtain certified background check through mycb.castlebranch.com (MSU's code is MI43).
- Submit proof of professional liability insurance.
If you have previously attended MSU, you will need to apply for Readmission.
- Once you are readmitted, if you are not a former Distance ELEM student, please contact your advisor so he or she may change your major and campus as well as advise you for the upcoming semester.
- Submit a separate official final transcript from each college or university attended; faxed transcripts will not be accepted. An applicant may not ignore previous college attendance and must list all colleges attended on the application for admission. You must be in good standing at the last college or university attended.
- If you are unable to submit official transcripts and other documentation electronically, you may send them via U.S. Postal Service to:
Office of Admissions & Scholarships
P.O. Box 6334
Mississippi State, MS 39762
- Upon admission to the university, the Registrar's Office will evaluate transfer credit to determine how it transfers to MSU.